Casey O’Tool, RF System Lab’s borescope expert, returned from his third year exhibiting at the Turbomachinery and Pump Symposia (Turbo & Pump Symposia) with one thing in mind: “I can’t wait until next year!”
The Symposia, which took place at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston, TX from September 22-25, 2014, brought together professionals from the petrochemical, process, chemical utility, and rotating equipment manufacturers from all over the world.
RF System Lab had a booth in the packed exhibit hall again this year, and Casey O’Tool said that the attendee traffic did not disappoint. “This show is one of our most successful. The attendees and fellow exhibitors are all experts in the rotating machinery maintenance/engineering industry, which is a great fit for the VJ-Advance video borescope,” stated O’Tool.
O’Tool said that Turbo & Pump Symposia is a great chance for him to catch up with current customers. He was able to chat with DOW Union Carbide, a company that is very satisfied with their purchase of three VJ-Advance video borescope units. In addition, O’Tool was able to make plenty of new connections. One of the most memorable connections was with Flowserve, a leader in the development of innovative pumps, seals and valves. O’Tool was glad to meet their courteous representatives and is appreciative for the opportunity to earn their business.
Turbo & Pump Symposia is an event that RF System Lab looks forward to every year. It is an extremely well-run tradeshow, and the location could not be more ideal. If you were not in attendance at Turbo & Pump Symposia and did not get a chance to test out the VJ-Advance video borescope, you can still try one out at your own facility! RF System Lab offers a no cost, no demo program, which you can sign up for right here. To find out more about the free borescope demo or to chat with a borescope expert, you can call the RF System Lab office at (231) 943-1171 or visit the RF System Lab website.
RF System Lab would like to welcome a variety of new clients from the month of August. The newest purchasers of the VJ-ADV include companies from multiple industries, including Food Processing, Casting, Integrated Technology, and Power Generation.
Joining our newest customers in the Food Processing industry is one of the world’s largest food companies, General Mills. The well-known brand required a high-quality borescope to complete internal inspections of pipes that guide ammonia around their factory and ensure there was no leakage. To make sure that inspections with the VJ-ADV could be performed efficiently, General Mills installed inspection points in the pipes for easy entrance. With a brand recognizable in almost every household, General Mills needed to make sure to invest in a borescope that could help them complete inspections with confidence.
Another new VJ-Advance video borescope user is Skilled Manufacturing, a Traverse City, Michigan based company that specialized in engineering design and manufacturing quality. Skilled Manufacturing had been utilizing a competitor’s video borescope, but found the repairs to be costly and frequent. Thanks to our low-cost repair service, which includes a free loaner VJ-ADV to use while your borescope is being fixed, Skilled Manufacturing was able to save time and money completing casting inspections. When you are a manufacturer of oil pans for top automotive companies, you cannot afford any downtime.
We also acquired an Integrated Technology customer this past August. Plexus Corp is known for providing electronic engineering and
manufacturing services around the globe. They recently purchased a 3.9mm VJ-ADV to internally inspect electro-machinery and circuit boards. The slim 3.9mm VJ-ADV is the perfect fit for small-space inspections, especially with joy-stick controlled four-way articulation functionality. When inspecting hard-to-reach places, a borescope with hi-res image quality and the flexibility to effortlessly navigate around corners is a must, which is why Plexus Corp selected the VJ-ADV for their inspections.
In addition, we are proud to have Florida Power & Light, an investor-owned utility company providing electric power throughout Florida, as a new customer in the Power Generation industry. Florida Power & Light required a video borescope as soon as possible when an outage occurred. RF System Lab has VJ-ADV borescopes in stock to provide next day, if needed. Therefore, when a power generation company, like Florida Power & Light, must complete immediate corrective maintenance, RF System Lab is able to fulfill that need and quickly ship out the proper borescope for the job.
We at RF System Lab would like to extend a thank you to these new clients, as well as all additional clients not listed here. If you would like to demo the VJ-Advance video borescope, you can sign up for a no-cost, no-obligation demo program. For more information on RF System Lab, please visit our website or call 855-787-6966 to speak with one of our borescope experts about your specific internal inspection needs.
18 Sep 2014
While the VJ-Advance video borescope is used in a variety of industries, we sometimes receive no cost, no obligation borescope demo requests for applications that we’d never consider. At the top of that list: penetrating ant hills. Recently the VJ-Advance video borescope was used in a documentary from Red Sky Productions.
Rhett Turner of Red Sky Productions is producing a documentary titled “Secret of the Longleaf Pine,” which showcases the four seasons of the forest and gives an in-depth look at the creatures that inhabit there.
RF System Lab was able to supply Rhett with a VJ-Advance articulating video borescope to get up close and personal with one of the animals living in the Longleaf Pine forest — the Florida Harvester Ant.
With our super-slim insertion tube, Rhett was able to get inside the anthill to see exactly how the Harvester Ants live and form their underground city.
“We were able to see a lot of internal structure that we would not have been able to otherwise; we even got a glimpse at the Queen ant,” recalled Rhett.
You can enjoy a video taken with the VJ-Advance above. Thank you to Rhett for this unique encounter! If you would like to demo a VJ-Advance video borescope for your specific application, be in airplane turbine inspections or anthill studies, please contact a video borescope expert at (231) 943-1171.
Video borescopes have many different applications; including the Railway industry. For the first time, RF System Lab is breaking into the rail car maintenance industry, specifically tank car maintenance, by attending the RSI/CMA 2014 Canadian Rail Summit. This year’s Canadian Rail Summit is taking place at the Palais Des Congres in Montreal, Quebec from September 21-23, 2014.
Summit highlights include:
- A keynote speech from CN President and CEO Claude Mongeau, who will provide attendees a fresh insight into the current state and future Canadian rail industry
- An exhibit featuring over 120 exhibitors and the newest technology in the rail supply industry
- A chance to connect with other industry professionals – the conference even has its own hashtag: #rsicma2014
RF System Lab Director of Sales and Marketing, Duncan White, will be on the exhibit floor educating attendees on how borescopes can greatly assist with tank car inspections. RF System Lab’s VJ-Advance (VJ-ADV) video borescope, with insertion tube diameters of 2.8mm, 3.9mm or 6.9mm, is perfect for inspecting hard-to-reach areas that the naked eye cannot observe. That, in combination with its extreme portability and joystick-controlled, 360-degree articulation, makes it the ideal remote visual inspection tool for internal weld inspections of tank car jackets.
If you’re interested in learning more about video borescope inspections and testing out the remarkable VJ-ADV video borescope for yourself, stop by booth #324 and meet with Duncan for more information.
For more information about the RSI/CMA 2014 Canadian Railway Summit, visit the conference website.
Learn more about the VJ-ADV and how it assists with tank car inspections:
Opening Time: Exhibits open at 4:00pm on Sun., Sept. 21 and again at 9:00am on Mon., Sept. 22
Conference Dates: September 21-23, 2014
Venue: Palais Des Congres, Montreal, Quebec
We look forward to providing a chance for railway industry professionals to test the VJ-Advance. If you are unable to attend the symposium don’t forget, you can still checkout the VJ-ADV articulating video borescopes on the RF System Lab website! For more information, call us toll-free at (888) 747-6526.
J St. John returned to the RF System Lab office yesterday after a week in Dayton, Ohio for the Turbine Engine Technology Symposium (TETS). TETS took place September 8-11 at the Dayton Convention Center and focused on the newest advances in the turbine engine industry.
Representing RF System Lab onsite was borescope expert J St. John. J had the opportunity to present the VJ-Advance (VJ-ADV) video borescope to exhibitors and attendees. The VJ-ADV received incredible attention and interest, especially with the increased capabilities and technology available within additive manufacturing. Technology advancements, including 3D printing, has heightened the need for precise inspection of internal parts. The VJ-ADV, with its joystick-controlled 4-way articulation and ultra-thin 2.8mm insertion tube diameter, is a great fit for the industry.
J St. John also had a chance to make some great connections… and even visit with some local clients. Todd Mackey of Century Inc. Machining Heat Treatment, a fellow Traverse City based company, stopped by the RF System Lab booth to chat about the VJ-Advance that Century owns. Additionally, J had the pleasure of meeting great representatives from the following companies:
- CD-adapco, the world’s largest independent CFD focused provider of engineering simulation software, support and services
- Energy Research Consultants (ERC), a company that addresses the need for the application of experimental and numerical modeling tools to challenges associated with various engineering systems
- Florida Turbine Technologies Inc., a progressive energy and aerospace company specializing in design, development, manufacture and testing of turbomachinery components and systems for aircraft engines, space propulsion and industrial gas turbines
- Honeywell, a provider of gas turbine engines to power UAVs, Helicopters and battlefield tanks
- Incodema 3D, whose capabilities include sheet metal stampings, metal forming, laser cutting, Microcut, photo chemical machining, wire EDM, DMLS and CNC machining to SLA, Polyjet, FDM and urethane castings
- Lockheed Martin, a global security and aerospace company that employs about 113,000 people worldwide
- MDS Coating Technologies Corporation, a company that designs, manufactures, and tests protective coatings for gas turbine engines used in the aerospace, commercial and defense industries
- Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems, a premier developer, integrator, and producer or manned and unmanned aircraft, space systems and advanced technologies critical to our nation’s security
- Parametric Solutions, a “one-stop shop” for advanced technology rigs where speed, creativity and risk management are combined with aggressive determination and ownership to meet technical objectives, schedule and cost
- Pratt & Whitney, a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of aircraft engines, auxiliary and ground power unites, and small turbojet propulsion products
- Spectral Energies LLC, a company that utilizes advanced technologies in optics, photonics, active sensing and numerical analysis to solve real-world problems encountered in thermal-fluid, energy, propulsion, and aerospace systems.
- Universal Technology Corporation, who principally conducts Research and Development for customers within the government and private sectors
- UTC Aerospace Systems, a company that designs, manufactures and services integrated systems and components for the aerospace and defense industries
- Williams International, whose display included examples of advanced demonstrator engines developed and tested as part of the VAATE program.
J St. John thoroughly enjoyed connecting with the reps from the above companies and wanted to especially thank Spectral Energies who, being Dayton residents, helped him to find an excellent burger meal at Chappy’s Taproom and Grill.
If you were not in attendance at TETS and therefore did not get a chance to test out the VJ-ADV, you can still try one out at your own facility! RF System Lab offers a no cost, no demo program, which you can sign up for right here. To find out more about the free borescope demo or to chat with a borescope expert, you can call the RF System Lab office at 888-747-6526 or visit the RF System Lab website.