A Recap of our First Show of the Season: TETS 2014
J St. John returned to the RF System Lab office yesterday after a week in Dayton, Ohio for the Turbine Engine Technology Symposium (TETS). TETS took place September 8-11 at the Dayton Convention Center and focused on the newest advances in the turbine engine industry.
Representing RF System Lab onsite was borescope expert J St. John. J had the opportunity to present the VJ-Advance (VJ-ADV) video borescope to exhibitors and attendees. The VJ-ADV received incredible attention and interest, especially with the increased capabilities and technology available within additive manufacturing. Technology advancements, including 3D printing, has heightened the need for precise inspection of internal parts. The VJ-ADV, with its joystick-controlled 4-way articulation and ultra-thin 2.8mm insertion tube diameter, is a great fit for the industry.
J St. John also had a chance to make some great connections… and even visit with some local clients. Todd Mackey of Century Inc. Machining Heat Treatment, a fellow Traverse City based company, stopped by the RF System Lab booth to chat about the VJ-Advance that Century owns. Additionally, J had the pleasure of meeting great representatives from the following companies:
- CD-adapco, the world’s largest independent CFD focused provider of engineering simulation software, support and services
- Energy Research Consultants (ERC), a company that addresses the need for the application of experimental and numerical modeling tools to challenges associated with various engineering systems
- Florida Turbine Technologies Inc., a progressive energy and aerospace company specializing in design, development, manufacture and testing of turbomachinery components and systems for aircraft engines, space propulsion and industrial gas turbines
- Honeywell, a provider of gas turbine engines to power UAVs, Helicopters and battlefield tanks
- Incodema 3D, whose capabilities include sheet metal stampings, metal forming, laser cutting, Microcut, photo chemical machining, wire EDM, DMLS and CNC machining to SLA, Polyjet, FDM and urethane castings
- Lockheed Martin, a global security and aerospace company that employs about 113,000 people worldwide
- MDS Coating Technologies Corporation, a company that designs, manufactures, and tests protective coatings for gas turbine engines used in the aerospace, commercial and defense industries
- Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems, a premier developer, integrator, and producer or manned and unmanned aircraft, space systems and advanced technologies critical to our nation’s security
- Parametric Solutions, a “one-stop shop” for advanced technology rigs where speed, creativity and risk management are combined with aggressive determination and ownership to meet technical objectives, schedule and cost
- Pratt & Whitney, a world leader in the design, manufacture and service of aircraft engines, auxiliary and ground power unites, and small turbojet propulsion products
- Spectral Energies LLC, a company that utilizes advanced technologies in optics, photonics, active sensing and numerical analysis to solve real-world problems encountered in thermal-fluid, energy, propulsion, and aerospace systems.
- Universal Technology Corporation, who principally conducts Research and Development for customers within the government and private sectors
- UTC Aerospace Systems, a company that designs, manufactures and services integrated systems and components for the aerospace and defense industries
- Williams International, whose display included examples of advanced demonstrator engines developed and tested as part of the VAATE program.
J St. John thoroughly enjoyed connecting with the reps from the above companies and wanted to especially thank Spectral Energies who, being Dayton residents, helped him to find an excellent burger meal at Chappy’s Taproom and Grill.
If you were not in attendance at TETS and therefore did not get a chance to test out the VJ-ADV, you can still try one out at your own facility! RF System Lab offers a no cost, no demo program, which you can sign up for right here. To find out more about the free borescope demo or to chat with a borescope expert, you can call the RF System Lab office at 888-747-6526 or visit the RF System Lab website.